Study Smart

Introduction

While many believe consistently studying every day is essential for knowledge, the reality is different.

  • Most of us study when necessary and also prioritize enjoying life like everyone else.
  • This post is dedicated to all SPM, college and university students, aiming to share some practical study tips.

Work Hard



To Comprehend

As a science student, I have trained myself to understand what I learned in school or university.

  • Memorizing everything is unnecessary unless it is pure facts (e.g. The sun rises in the East).
  • Always question the explanation given to you and ask yourself if you agree with it.

Relating knowledge to everyday life can solidify understanding.

  • For example, I still remember that perfume is an ester, and ester is made from a chemical reaction between alcohol and carboxylic acid.
  • Similarly, physics concepts like acceleration and velocity become clearer when connected to real-world experiences like driving a car.

Additionally, teaching others reinforces your own understanding and may lead to new insights.



Precise Note

For me, jotting down key points on a notepad has proven to be an effective study method.

  • The act of handwriting seems to aid in information retention.

Before an exam, I will write down important information as I read through the material. Afterward, I can quickly review my notes to enhance my memory.

  • The notes ideally should only include information that is important and that you worry you may forget.



Flexible Schedule

Ever since secondary school, I have never been a fan of rigid, hour-by-hour study schedules.

  • By all means, we are not robot.
  • After studying for extended periods, our brain will be saturated with facts and we start losing focus.

I prefer to set achievable goals for each day, such as covering a few chapters in a subject.

  • Once the daily study goals are achieved, I can choose to relax or continue studying.
  • This builds self-confidence and motivation to adhere to a flexible timetable.

Most importantly, at the end of the day, we should be well-prepared before the exam.



Summary

To conclude, I emphasize the importance of maintaining a healthy study-life balance.

  • It is essential to enjoy your school (university) life as much as possible since you will miss it when you start working.

Comments