Life

Introduction

Almost Done in Life

When I was a little child, I thought I had a long way to go before I became old.

  • Probably, at that time, I felt it took amazingly long time to even finish primary school years.

However, now that I am a working adult, time seems to fly by and the days are full of unfinished works.

  • Over the years, I have gradually lost my enthusiasm for pharmacist profession too.
  • It is no longer the exciting challenge it once was and today is just a repetition of yesterday.
  • Job is more of a mean to make the ends meet.

Today, I have not yet achieved my childhood dreams, but my age already made me an adult.

  • Yes, I do not like to be called an "uncle".



Giving Life A Meaning

In our teenage years, we were focused on passing exams and getting into a good college.

  • But once we reach adulthood, we have to reconsider the true purpose of it.
  • We have to answer the question of what we want to achieve in life and how we can avoid future regrets.

Even today, I could not answer this question "Is this the life that I am happy to continue till I leave this world?".

  • Although I found working life to be boring and dull, I know that not having a job would make me feel even more purposeless.

Afterall, life itself is complex.

  • It is a journey of discovery, learning and growth.
  • Nonetheless, if a life purpose is elusive, then focusing on earning a healthy income and prioritising personal well-being are worthy pursuits.



To the Past

Nevertheless, if I could be a time traveller, what will I probably tell the 20-year-old me?

While focusing on education, do not overstress about getting perfect grades.

  • Education is only to guide you to make wise decisions in the future.
  • Plus, a first-class honour or second-class honour degree does not make a huge impact on your future salary.

Besides studying hard, enjoy the youth and play as much as you like.

  • The moment you step into the adulthood, you will soon realise there are lots of so-called adult responsibilities (to bank loan and family) and much less freedom to fool around.
  • It would not be as easy as before for you to go on a solo trip whenever you feel like to due to commitments.

Being an adult, you are going to stuck between I need to save more and I only live once.

  • You will think rationally for every expenditure that you are going to make. Is it necessary?

Time Misspent in Youth is Sometimes All the Freedom One Ever Has

When reflecting the past, you may surprisingly realise that

  • Most of the friends and colleagues that you meet in life are just acquaintances which may have left a subtle impact on us.
  • Those significant or anxious moments may not meant much in the end, or so called the unnecessary.

Nonetheless, always strive to do your best because it matters at that moment.

Regrets are the Most Useless Form of Guit. They Always Arrive Too Late to Do Any Good.



To Live Ordinarily

When I was young, I used to long for a life of luxury and excitement (i.e. eating at fancy restaurants or travel to exotic places).

  • However, as we age, our priorities tend to change.
  • I realised that exciting life can be expensive yet tiring.
  • Living a simple life (i.e. spend time with family, read books, watch television dramas, rest on bed and away from chaotic life) can be happier and more fulfilling.

Undoubtedly, it is easy to get caught up in comparing our lives to others, but this can only lead to dissatisfaction.

  • Social media shows us the best of people's lives, not the reality (the bad days, the struggles or the challenges).
  • Focus on your own happiness and find joy in the simple things.

Remember, happiness is a journey, not a destination!

Life is a Carousel. It Goes Up and Down. All You Gotta Do is Just Stay On.



The Fragile Nature of Life

When we are young, we often think that we are invincible and believe that we will live forever. However, as we get older, we see people we know and love get sick and die.

  • You can be at the peak of your life, but a stroke can change everything in an instant. One moment, you are healthy and happy. The next, you are struggling with depression.
  • I have seen this firsthand with my uncle. He was a strong and handsome man, but after undergoing chemotherapy for nasopharyngeal cancer, he became a frail and elderly-looking person.

Fragility of life can be a sobering realization. It makes us feel scared and uncertain.

  • However, it can also be a wake-up call to count our blessings in life each day.
  • Also, it is important to realise that the living a healthy life is a blessing in disguise.

Shakespeare's Life Brief Candle



Summary

I know it is everyone dreams to be a billionaire, to have huge house and to travel around the world.

  • It probably is your father's dream too.

However, it is only till when we fall sick or see the disabled elderly, we realise living healthily is such an important and precious fortune that we may have taken for granted. Neither money nor success can prevent us from aging, sickness and death.

  • If accidents have happened in life, stop lingering on what if I did this or did that.
  • Life goes on and we should plan on what we should do next.

Comments